19 June 2007

Springfield's EMP-9

9 April 2007
I finally managed to get a look at the new Springfield EMP 9 pistol yesterday and I'm impressed with this small pistol. It's a scaled down version of the 1911, chambered for 9mm with just the right number of "add-on" features. Balance, ergonomics and handling qualities are very good. This thing is about the size of a Kahr K-9 pistol and feels lighter. There are only two shortcomings with this pistol. Because it is a smaller-than-normal 1911, parts won't interchange with standard 1911 parts. I guess this is to be expected due to the size. However, I'd suggest purchasers procure replacement extractors, springs and a firing pin in case the gun is discontinued. Why would it ever be discontinued? That's the second shortcoming - price! My retailer had it listed at $1,105 and said that he had gotten this first one on a discount! Nominal retail price is $1,250. It's a nice gun, but for that price, I can buy a pair of other 9mm pistols.

No comments: